Blake - Hickory, North Carolina
Themes: integrity

Decline of Intelligence

Every time I listen to the news or go to school, I think to myself, “How are these people still alive?” Many people I come into contact with in daily life should thank God daily for the autonomous respiratory system. Actions people do and law suits that are made show the decline of intelligence.

How many law suits could we do without? How about the law suit where someone sued McDonalds for making them fat. I understand that if I eat food, I gain weight. Apparently this basic principle of fat causing weight gain is not common knowledge. Along with McDonalds, Nintendo is being sued. Why? Because their product allegedly caused a death. Benjamin Walker died after having a seizure after playing the N64 for 8 hours a day, 6 days a week. I would feel bad for Benjamin…if it wasn’t for the fact that he had five seizures prior to this! Now, I’m not sure about you, but I would have seen a red flag after the first one, let alone five. This is not the worst part though, the worst part is that judges listen to this and attorneys take the case! Not only do they hear the cases, they find in favor of them! The courts are a Petri dish breeding stupidity.

Along with the courts, schools are breeding stupidity, but a different kind. The teachers are forced to teach for the standardized tests and not for retainment. They can’t teach in the way they want, they are forced to teach the way that will make our schools appear to have the biggest growth, most graduates, etc. They don’t teach for retainment of knowledge, just for the regurgitation. They give me facts and I give them back on tests. I discovered that if I just learn the information for the moment and forget it to make room for other subjects, it is much easier. This is the stupidity schools breed, a type of apathetic stupidity.

This apathy is another reason why there is a decline of intelligence. Students just don’t care anymore, they want to get instant gratification and do nothing to get it. In school, lots of kids stop doing homework. They just don’t care enough to want to learn more information; they just go because they have to. They don’t care what grade they get or what will happen after high school, they just don’t want to work. Due to this apathy, they don’t learn what they need to for tests and end up failing high school and become a homeless person on the street not knowing if they will live tomorrow.

The increase of stupidity and decrease of intelligence in the nation and the world scares me. People have gotten lazy and apathetic. Without motivated people leading our nations, what will the world come to? Technology will cease to be invented and new ideas and theories will not be created. I believe our world will fall apart, if people do not stand up and think.