Ryan - Tonganoxie, Kansas
Themes: integrity

Trust is a fragile thing, and there once was a quote that put it into words. “Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.” This quote tells about how trust is broken so often. Most people, including myself, will make the easy mistake of trusting that some person once again. What happens when you trust them again? Most likely you’ll get burned, and that’s your own fault.

Who do you trust, your mom, your dad, your brothers and sisters? I think for the most part you can trust your family. Although, you might have to worry about your siblings from time to time. Don’t blame them though, they’re required to hate you. It’s an unwritten law. Now, here’s a tough question. Do you trust your friends?

Friends. There’s a wonderful word. My definition of a friend is someone you can count on. Someone who can count on you. Someone who will always be there for you and someone that you will, in turn, always be there for. Someone you can have fun with. Someone you can come to when you have a problem. Most importantly, and the quality that stands above all else is…a friend is someone you can trust. Trust, that they can listen to your problems and not judge you. Trust, that they can be told your secrets and not let them out. Trust, that they won’t betray you, and the trust that you put in them.

Have you been betrayed before? Who was it? Was it somebody that you barely know, that was just getting back at you? Was it somebody that you don’t even know that just doesn’t like you? Or was it maybe one of your friends? That’s what it was for me. My friends. My closest friends, and I’ll tell you one thing. It sure doesn’t feel good.

When you hear someone tell you what they did. You at the same time, feel the tip of a knife piercing the skin on your back. While what you’ve heard winks in, the knife is slowly being pushed into the depths of your newly hallowed heart, until you’re standing there gasping for a reason why. Why did they do this? Did they think I wouldn’t find out? Did they really care?

Most of them don’t know. They Don’t know that I know. I do though. That’s the problem. I suppose this is my way of getting it out. Since I can’t get it out to them how much it hurt, for them to betray my trust. Maybe they’ll read this sometime and understand. Maybe they’ll understand what I believe.

Let me ask myself a question. What do I believe? I believe that trust and betrayal are two of man’s tragic flaws. It is only human nature to betray one another. I myself have done it and have had it done to me over and over again. It is also human nature to trust someone again just after they betrayed you. Even though we know they will do it again. So why do we do it? Who knows? All I know is, I won’t be able to fully trust them again, and what they did will always be in the back of my mind. My parting words are these, ”Don’t let what happened to me, happen to you. Pick you friends wisely, make sure you trust them, and I’m sure you’ll be fine.”