Jamie - Kansas

I Believe in Friends

Have you ever experienced not having friends before? Friends are the best things you can have. I believe in close relationships with friends. Everyone needs at least one friend in every moment of his or her life. In fun times, sad times, in new experiences, and especially depressing times.

When I was a little girl I was a tomboy. I had neighborhood friends to play with in the summer, at recess, and after school but I really didn’t have any friends for sleep overs or birthday parties. I guess you could say I was somewhat of a lonely kid. When I hit Jr. High my life was completely changed. My grade school friends became some of the closet friends I have now. Lauren, Colby, and Megan, are there for me in any and every situation. They helped me through the good and the bad. They know that I would be there for them at any time also. I am pretty sure our friendships will last a lifetime.

There is no rule that says you have to have the same best friends your entire life. Throughout the seventh and eighth grades my main focus in the social world was to expand on the number of friends that I had and to keep close with Lauren, Colby, and Megan. In search for new friendships I found Andrea and Kelsey. The three of us have so much in common. We hung out all the time in eighth grade. Andrea was basically another me. We had the same problems with our families that brought us together. It’s easy for me to talk to her because I know she will understand. There were many nights that we cried on each other’s shoulder. The reason I feel so close to Kelsey is because she is the type of friend that you can trust with anything and will always have fun with in any situation. Us three had crazy nights at Andrea’s house making memories that will last forever. We also threw some pretty wicked parties. They are two wonderful people to me.

You also need friends to fight with. In the eighth grade a girl I was a friend with but not best friends and I got in a fight over a boy. We fought verbally for about two weeks, bad enough to have almost the whole grade split in two. After we both realized how ridiculous it was we made up. That fight brought her and I so much closer and it made us more mature also.

You need to keep your friends close because they are the greatest things you have. You need friends to party with, to be social with, to go to school events with also. You need friends to listen to, and have them listen to you, cheer you up, and to have fun with. Most of all you need friends to believe in you when you don’t believe in yourself. Friends also need you to believe in them. Everyone needs a friend.