Devin - Birch Run, Michigan

I do not claim to be a poetry expert, or even know what exactly would constitute a great poem in the literary sense. However, there is a poem, that the moment I heard it, changed my life forever. It is a work of Robert Frost, and it is entitled “The Road Not Taken.” It tells the story of a man who enters the woods and comes to a fork in the road. At this point, he has two choices. He can choose the first path, because it is safe, being well traveled and he knows where it will lead, or he can choose the second path, one with some mystery and unexpected turns.

I believe that nearly all of us come to a crossroads like the man in Frost’s poem. Being a high school senior, I am in fact at one of these crossroads. I realize that I can make the choice to travel down the path of many others, and things will probably end up just fine. However, I believe it is in the fact the rare men and women who are willing to venture outside of their comfort zone, and take on the challenge of the unworn path, that truly become great. Look at all the great individuals in our history books: George Washington, Sojourner Truth, Abraham Lincoln, Eleanor Roosevelt, Edward R. Murrow, Rosa Parks, Martin Luther King Jr. and the list goes on. All these great people took a chance, and took the path less traveled. It is for this reason that we remember them today.

So I guess what I believe is this: when each of us comes to this destined “crossroads,” we should take a minute to think about how we want to be remembered. Do want to play it safe and settle for being average, or do we want to take a chance at possibly being remembered for years to come? As for me, I am going to try to live by the words of Frost, “…Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.”