James - birch run, Michigan

Through out my short life I have been told to believe several things. I have been told to believe in a certain religion, to believe in my team or myself. I’m not trying to say that I do not believe in those things because all of them are very important to me. Here is one of the few beliefs I have came to learned myself. I believe that you do not truly know your self.

I believe you cannot truly know your self until you are put in a situation that you did not expect to be in. In Situations where you do not have time to think and your body just reacts is the only time where your true character comes out. Everyone has had a moment in there life where they just reacted with out thinking. I can remember one time when I was younger and hanging out with my friends. I thought I was tough guy and scared by nothing so we decided to go to this old condemned house and go inside it because everyone thought it looked scary. So we all strutted up to this house and broke the door down and walked inside. As soon as we where in the door way a loud bang was heard in front of me and the next I knew a was running faster that I could ever imagine to my car. I never knew I would run like a little schoolgirl because if a noise I heard a noise in room with out knowing source it came from.

Another time that’s actually a better example of learning something about my self through an unexpected event was about three years ago when my family and I where white water rafting. We where On the part of the river that we already went over earlier that day. Since the rapids we were about to go over where only a level 3 and we where riding Level fives early we where pretty confident of our skills. When we finally hit the level 3 wave our raft quickly capsized and old fat man fell on top of me knocking down into the water and started to kick me in the face as I tried to swim to the surface once I was on the surface a swam to find my sister who was already on the raft and then I swam down stream and get my mom. When I found my mom the guy who kicked me in the face was right next to me and brought them to the raft. I being the kind the person to hold a grudge for a long time never would I though I would help him out by bring him to the raft. Being a teenager thinking a know all bout myself I have found several times where I found out something about my self that I did not know.