Becki - Birch Run, Michigan

Ever since I can remember I’ve been doing everything I was told. This is the way I was brought up. But, recently I have realized that being a follower and doing everything everyone tells you to are two very different things. I have caught myself doing and believing everything everyone says or tells me to. This has led to me not thinking or believing things on my own.

When I started my senior year I began to realize all of this, and now that it’s coming to a close I can see that I am changing. My Contemporary Studies class has put this into perspective for me and made me realize what I believe. We discuss things as a group, as well as presenting topics individually. This class forces you to have your own opinion. For about the first three to four weeks I just sat back and listened and agreed with everything everyone was saying. This is when I realized that I never think on my own, that I depend on other people to make up my mind. Around about the sixth week or so, I began to actually think about things and how they affected me. Around the middle of the term our teacher asked us what we believed. He then assigned us a This I Believe paper. This was a very difficult assignment for me because since I had never really thought for myself before, I thought I was never going to figure out what I believed. This class gave me just the push I needed to change.

After a while of just thinking, things finally began to come together. As a result, I now have finally come to a conclusion. I believe you should at all times have your own opinion and the ability to think for yourself, as well as believing in yourself. If you follow everyone you will lose your individuality. Even though speaking up for your beliefs may be difficult it is very possible. I am currently in the process of learning how to express what I believe. Now that I am going through this difficult process, I would advise people that are afraid they aren’t saying the right things to do take the risk and find yourself. It is always better to believe in yourself and have your own beliefs in the end.