Tyler - Birch Run, Michigan
Themes: sports, work

Recently, after I had struggled at the plate in a high school baseball game, my grandfather was quick to give me some pointers to get my swing back to where it had been. His advice was simple at best, but I completely understood how it could help. He said, “You hit that ball like a son of a (gun) every time, it’s the times you don’t swing hard that you don’t hit the ball well.” This is coming from a man who knows a lot about baseball and could have told me many things I do wrong mechanically. Instead he was telling me not to be timid, to go all out each swing. I thought about what he had said for a long time and realized he was right. Since then, I have put that concept into other situations, not necessarily in the athletic fields. I first took a look at the success our football team had last fall; during summer workouts we had a 90% attendance rate. I truly think that if the effort at these workouts would not have been full, being there would not have mattered. I I believe that the only way to achieve fully satisfying results from anything is to give 100% effort. Of course many things can be accomplished with little or no effort, but the true accomplishment comes after a period of hard work. This concept can be applied in a student’s study, where if full effort in studying is give, the student will gain more knowledge as well as receive high marks. Dedicated effort is also very important. I think that in many cases young adults are given to idea that just skating by is okay to do. I have not been brought up that way, and I’m very happy about that. I think that I am better off knowing the benefits of total effort. Effort is also something that does not take any skill and anybody can do it. This is important because even if a person is not good at a certain thing, effort can bring them positive results.