Steve - Tonganoxie, Kansas
Themes: work

Good Work Ethic

Having a good work ethic is the key to success. It helps you in school, work, and even in sports. In my opinion a good work ethic will show positive results in whatever you do. I know a good work ethic has helped me accomplish many things, and shape me into the person I am today. As I said before, a good work ethic is the key to success. But how do you get a good work ethic?

There are so many different ways that a good work ethic helps out. I’m a freshman in high school. I am not the smartest kid in my class by a long shot, but I work my tail off in and out of school. In school I use extra class time to get my work done. I pay attention in class. Out of class while all my buddies are outside playing, I’m inside studying or doing homework. From Kindergarten all the way to 8th grade, I was an average A and B student. But I had a talk with my parents and they told me. Starting 9th grade, your grades would count for college. So I made a little pact to myself, work hard and try to get a 4.0 all the way through high school. Well so far I’ve lived up to it.

Not only does my good work ethic impact my schoolwork, but it also impacts my work. In my mind, if I was to slack off at jobs that I did. There would be a good chance I would never get hired again. Even around my house when I’m working with my dad. He always chooses me to work for him over my 16, almost 17-year-old brother. He says that

I’m a better worker than him. My brother usually slacks off and gives an effort job.

Last Fall I was looking for some cash, so I signed up to be a referee for soccer. They gave me a nice fashionable yellow whistle. A little nervous the first few times, but I got used to it. At the end of the season the main director thanked me for doing such a great job. I said thanks. Now since that season, he wants me to ref, which is great now I’m basically guaranteed the job. That’s how a great work ethic can impact your work.

The one and only reason I work so hard is that so when I’m out of high school. I won’t be flipping patties at McDonalds. Or bagging your groceries at the local grocery store. I want to have a good job with decent pay, and that is enjoyable. I know school is tough as heck. But in my mind it will be worth it. And a good work ethic will help me get there.