Kody - Tonganoxie, Kansas
Themes: work

Working Hard

I have learned many new things since I moved to the small town of Tonganoxie last year. The idea that most caught my attention was that practice and hard work pay off. I see this in two different ways, one is if you try hard and give 110% you will excel at the sport or team you are on. The other is that if you fail, at least you put all your effort and time into the practice.

I feel this way because of the personal experience I have had with this belief. I started playing basketball for the school in 8th grade. That was the first year I had ever played basketball for a team. I didn’t do very well and never started a game. Over the year I practiced and practiced. And then I practiced even more with the team during scheduled practices. I did get better, just not better than the rest of the team. Sadly in all my playing time I only scored 2 points the whole year.

I played again this year. And even though I practiced a lot, I didn’t become the best, but I got much better. I played in a couple of games and scored a couple of points. I was much surprised to find out how much better I had become from just a little practice at my neighbors. I think I will play again next year and all the way through high school. I figured out that if I play my best and hustle everywhere, coach would decide to put me in the games.

When I look into the future and decide what I want to do after high school, I know that I want to go to college. But, in order to do that I am going to have to get a job, work hard at it, and study hard. If I just mess around in high school and don’t get good grades than I probably won’t get accepted to a good college. But with my grades being mostly A’s like they are, all I have to do is keep my grades up and work hard at school.

I think that this essay has taught me how to live my life, and I am glad I picked a subject that I could relate with. That is the guideline I base my life on, hard work. Now tell me what you believe.