Kaylie - Kansas City, Missouri

Your Mind Has a Capacity Limit…

I believe that every moment or memory should be captured. Years from now, people will forget who they were friends with or what they liked to do on Friday nights. I want to remember as many things as possible about the people around me and I would like others to remember things about their peers.

I am the kind of person who carries a camera everywhere I go. I take at least 20 pictures when I go to the movies or shopping with my friends. I don’t exactly know how I can find so many opportunities to take a photo, but to me, every moment counts.

For example, I just recently went on a trip to Breckenridge, Colorado with my church’s youth group. This is the first time I have been away from my parents, or at least far away from them. My family and I had only been to Colorado twice, and both times were in the summer and in different parts of the state. I wanted my parents to get to see almost everything I saw, so I took my digital camera. And as I thought, I took pictures of almost everything I could see. By the end of the four-day trip, I had taken almost 400 photos, while my friends called me crazy for recording so many. I really can’t blame them; while they saved the film in disposable cameras for special moments, I hardly contained myself. I was very happy, though, with the end result: a collection of moments frozen in time so I can never forget them.

I also remember many of my experiences through writing what had happened in my memories rather than just inferring from some photos. A way I like to do this is by scrapbooking. Even when I’m decorating pages from a vacation two years ago, I have trouble remembering exactly what happened. How would I remember this in fifty years? In the end, my pages may not be amazing, but they are in my own words and thoughts. All I hope is that these are important to me and my family now and in the future.

Every moment in every life isn’t meant to be remembered, whether it longs to be forgotten or is too brief to have the opportunity. But I know that in my future, I am not going to let my greatest memories slip away easily. After all, it only takes a second to snap a picture, but a lifetime for it to be forgotten.