Vidyasankar - Newark, Delaware

I believe in being flexible. Coming from India, a country with fierce competition for jobs, where competition is heavy even for getting admitted into good schools and universities, you are bound to grow flexible. When I was growing up, I wanted to become a Doctor by profession. My high school grades were a little below the cut-off required to get into a medical school. So, I decided to do the next best thing – an Under-graduate degree in Electrical Engineering.

When I was in engineering school, I dreamt of continuing my education by doing a Graduate degree in Management and that I wanted to do it in a leading business school. Again competition and better candidates got the better of me and forced me to pick the next option – I decided to get a job. I got a job in the computer profession while in school via a campus interview where only 2 people out of more than a 100 candidates got selected. I learnt several new technologies and became proficient in a software that is not exactly the chosen one for Computer professionals. It landed me an opportunity in the USA and I chose to take it.

I was doing Information Technology related work for a few years after I came to the USA. While I was working full time, I pursued my MBA part-time at the University of Maryland – a leading business school. My dream came true – I graduated in two years – a short time frame for part-timers. I never thought I’d do a graduate degree and that too in a leading school in the world – I did and am proud of it.

After finishing my MBA, I changed my job from IT to Marketing – a move that is not very easy to make and succeed. However, having faith in my abilities and being flexible has helped me climb the ranks in Marketing as well. My life has provided me with numerous opportunities and I’m pleased with where I am in my life. I’m pretty sure I’ll climb new heights and travel new paths that I haven’t traversed before. In this day and age, when people are losing jobs, when countries are at odds with each other, the right attitude is to be flexible. If a door is closed on you, there is definitely another one out there that is open. Just be sure to look for it.