Betsy - Inverness, Illinois

I believe in the crunch that autumn leaves make when you run through a pile on the sidewalk. I believe in taking chances, making sacrifices and thinking ahead. I believe in running against the wind.

I like to be prepared. When I was younger I was worried about all change. I wanted to know exactly what would happen on my first day of school, on my first plane ride and my first athletic competitions. “Will I be able to buy lunch on the first day?” “What if I need to go to the bathroom?” These were typical questions for me to ask, repeatedly. I couldn’t accept the advice to just “go with the flow.” I wanted to know exactly what was coming and how I was going to react. Being prepared helped me to stay calm when the unexpected occurred.

As I’ve grown I have kept some of my tendencies to over plan; however I believe in taking chances. Some of my greatest gifts came when I was least prepared, like the unexpected rainstorm that soaks you to the bone and leaves you no reason not to jump in puddles and roll in the mud. Even when all odds are against you, you must go for your goals and dreams because you will never regret trying.

In order to achieve my goals and dreams I have to make sacrifices. I can’t settle for doing the same as everyone around me. Instead, I must follow my own path. Often times I find myself staying in on weekends to study and talking to my friends in class who are out having fun with their friends. I wonder how we can all be in the same class, yet have such different study habits. I’ve learned that in order for me to be prepared I must study and review what I’ve already learned, whereas other people can remember it clearly. I must give up some free time for work, but sometimes I have to give up time at work to be with the people I love. I believe in doing what I enjoy, but I must be honest with myself. If I don’t want to work, but the work is necessary to achieve my goal then I believe I must make myself uncomfortable in order to achieve my goal.

I believe that it is important to challenge myself. If I do then I will discover that I am capable of achieving my dreams. I believe in running against the wind, and doing what others would shy away from.