Kenneth - Union, Missouri
Themes: carpe diem

Waste

I believe in living everyday to the fullest. This is my belief not only for the sake of having fun but more importantly because life is just too short to be wasted.

The thing is we only have so much time and you never know when it could end. I have known far too many people whose lives have been taken before their proper time. This has really gotten me thinking of all the things they may have wished they would have done with the time they had and can never get back.

During my sophomore year in high school, my class was unfortunate enough to lose three of its students. It was a day like any other, and the students were driving somewhere together after school. They were in a car accident that killed all three of them. When I first heard the news it didn’t seem real. Even though I wasn’t really that close with them, I had known them almost my whole life and to have them suddenly die was still devastating.

I have spent far too many days doing nothing of any importance when I could have been using my time wisely. We don’t have a lot of time on this earth as it is without the worry of being taken before our time. Everyday we wake up should in itself be a great day and should never be treated as a burden or ever be wasted. Too much of our days are spent thinking about what happened yesterday or worrying about what is going to happen tomorrow.

I believe it’s time to start thinking about now and what we can to make our time here as meaningful and happy as possible. With this in mind, I believe that we should try to live everyday as if it were our last and try not to leave anything unfinished that doesn’t need to be. There is only so much time on this earth and it would really be a shame to waste it.