Chad - Monmoutn, Illinois

I believe in the value of education. Often times, we tend to take our education for granted. We don’t realize how fortunate we are to be able to attend schools where we gain a vast amount of knowledge. Schools are one of the most important aspects of our society, but I feel they are one of the least respected as well. If you take a look around the country there are some great schools, however, there are more schools that are under budget and in very poor condition. Schools that can’t afford textbooks for every children, and the textbooks they do have are outdated and falling apart. Schools where the asbestos is so bad that some day’s school has to be cancelled. Schools that have to cut classes or extra activities just to pay the bills on time. Schools where teachers stay for only one year at a time because the benefits of staying are not worth the pay they receive.

Take another look around the country and you will see multi-million dollar sports arenas occupied by players that are getting paid multi-millions of dollars. Businesses run by millionaires who have so much money that they don’t have a clue what to do with it. Actors and actresses that spend their money on fancy items that are non-essential to living. You will see doctors, lawyers, electricians, and many others who make many thousands, if not millions, of dollars, while the teacher who helped them get there will be only receiving on average 28 thousand dollars a year.

I believe that we need to start placing more value on education by spending more money for both the schools and the teachers. I respect those that work hard for the money they receive; I also know that without teachers, none of them would be in the situation they are in. It’s time to start giving more to education. What’s more important, education or entertainment? Today, our society says entertainment, but our goal for tomorrow should be a society that values education.