Colleen - Barrington, Illinois

As my senior year in high school comes to an end, I can’t help but think back over the past four years. Its fun to remember all the activities I was involved in, the plays done, and the time that I have spent having fun with my friends. What’s interesting though, is that I don’t remember the gossip or the negative things that have occurred. And this made me think. I remember the good experiences and my friends. I remember laughing and singing. But mostly, I remember the friendship, love and loyalty they have showed me. High School is only a small indent in my life, but friends last forever. I believe that without friends a person is hopeless and if you can never be a friend, you don’t know what it means to be happy.

To be a friend is to be a shoulder to cry on and a joy to be around. If there is anything that my friends have really taught me in high school, it’s about the importance of loyalty. There have been numerous times over the years where I have needed someone to talk to and someone to laugh with. I believe that if I didn’t have these friends, I would be lost. Their friendship goes beyond any material gift that they could ever buy. I can only hope that I have done the same for them.

I also believe that everything happens for a reason. People come and go in our lives, but they all leave some mark. I know that my friends who have come and gone over the past four years have all made an impact on me. I believe in my friends and the loyalty and love that they have shown me. And I believe in myself, that I have done the same for them.