Courtney - Bellevue, Washington

I believe in the amazing power of companionship. Two, four or even no legs… animal companions makes us better people. They give without demanding, love without limits, and when no day could possibly seem worse… they make it better.

Is it magic? Perhaps. But not the magic you read of in books or watch in movies. This is real magic. I know of nothing more powerful than a tender gaze that speaks more words than any person could speak in a breath… a tail flitting or wagging that says welcome home each night…. a bed partner who doesn’t hog the sheets.

Animals bring forth in us the desire and the drive to be more and give more because that is what they do for us. I know this because I experience it every day. I am greeted when I awaken with a kiss I wouldn’t call gentle… more like squishy and I wouldn’t have it any other way. And when I return from work, every day is as though my companion has not seen me in ages… making my homecoming a sheer delight. No matter how I look, or smell or feel, my companion loves me unconditionally.

This well of generosity, love and giving inspires me to pass it on. I volunteer with an animal rescue agency that believes in providing lifelong companionship for people and animals. This agency provides shelter and food to lost companions… It supports programs that provide animal food to AIDS patients whose often only companion is their animal; to seniors who cannot quite afford the monthly costs of food but also can’t live without this magical relationship. I give and gladly so because I have been touched by the power of animal companionship and I am a better person because of it.

I believe in the power of animal companionship and recommend it highly for anyone looking for a spark of magic in their lives.