Deborah - Grand Rapids, Michigan

Several times a month, most often in church, I have the opportunity to recite the Apostle’s Creed or some other statement of faith. The word creed comes from the Latin word credo, meaning “I believe.” Reciting these statements of faith causes me to think of all the other credo statements I hold dear. With the declaration of my faith as the blue print of all my other beliefs, I can construct solid beliefs in other areas of my life as well; the credo of my faith under girds them all.

These additional credo statements which stem from my faith are how I put my faith into action. One belief I have is the healing power of love. I consider it my gift and calling in life to show love to others. This is why I have chosen to pursue a degree in social work. Throughout my life I have taken great joy in serving others, but it was not until I entered college that I realized that I could apply my passion for people into a profession. There is so much hurt and pain in the world, a great aching need for love and I want to be a part of the healing force which satisfies the need. In approximately three years I will graduate from college and enter the real world. Armed with the knowledge I have acquired though my education and the credo of my faith, I hope to make a lasting impact on the people that I serve.

I could not act out my passion for people with out my faith; it is the reason why am able to love. Because of my faith, I believe that God loves me unconditionally. This is why I feel called and inspired to show love to others. Although my ability to love cannot compare to the love of my heavenly father, reflecting the love I have been shown is a small way of how I can return love to the one who loves me the most. Administering the healing power of love to others is my way of demonstrating the credo of my faith and reciting the credos of my faith weekly reminds me why I am able to do this.

My life on this planet will be relatively short in the grand scheme of things but I want my life to be a life of purpose. For me that means being an agent of healing and love in a broken world. This I believe: that love is the ultimate healing power and if I can have even a small part in this healing process I will feel like I have fulfilled my calling.