Jessica - Rockville, Maryland

You don’t know true humility until you have your friends button up your pants. After going through all of my life being fairly self-sufficient, I learned humility. Everyone needs to be humbled every now and then and it was my time to understand the extent of my blessings.

This year I had a snowboarding accident when I was being cocky and fell hard. I ended up breaking my collar bone from the fall. The only way for my collar bone to heal was by not using my arm. If I tried to use my arm, I would only prolong the healing time. After growing up being active all of my life, when I was told I could not exercise for two months, I almost went crazy.

I don’t know if any of you have tried to button up your pants with one arm but it takes a lot of talent. As you know women, often wear pants that have a snug fit so if you try and button your pants with one arm, you get nowhere because the other side of your pants is not going to come over on its own. The first day after I broke my collar bone, I stayed in the bathroom for a good twenty minutes trying to button up my pants. I refused to be completely helpless. Since I was already being helped with putting my shirt on, one more thing might have put me over the edge. After struggling for a while I realized that I would have to sacrifice my pride in order to be able to go out in public. I broke down and asked my friend to help me button my pants and she complied without any problem. Then we laughed and thought if I was ever on my own, guys would probably not have any problem helping me.

At first it was awkward being forced to rely on other people but it helped me realize my friends are out there to help me. I don’t have to do everything on my own. I know that if I ever have the opportunity to help someone else that is in need, I will be there to help them. There were even times when I went to the bathroom without any of my friends and had to ask random people in the bathroom to help me. After asking I would usually get a nervous look back but then after I explained my situation they would agree and think nothing of it. Not only did my dependence on others strengthen my friendships, but also I made new friends out of it.

This I believe that you do not know true humility until you have your friends button up your pants for you. It is such a simple task that when you can’t do it on your own, you know you really are helpless without the help of others.