Merideth - Hudsonville, Michigan

Life Isn’t Fair

“Life isn’t fair.” This is a phrase that my Mom used to say to me all the time when I was a kid. I used to whine and complain over the simplest things. For example, at meal times I would tell my Mom a specific color Tupperware cup that I wanted; right away my sister would chime in that she also wanted that color. When I didn’t get the right colored cup I would complain saying things like, “that’s not fair; I asked first!” To this my Mom promptly responded to me, “Life isn’t fair.” I now realize how dumb and trivial fighting over a colored cup really is. At the time my Mom’s little phrase used to really annoy me, but now it is one that I’ve come to realize holds a lot of truth.

Now that I’m older I find myself using my Mom’s “Life isn’t fair” phrase in response to different circumstances and situations that I come across. Recently I’ve found myself saying “Life isn’t fair” to different situations: Life isn’t fair that millions of children go hungry each day when I have more than enough food to eat. Life isn’t fair when children are forced to live in a country full of war, scared for their safety each and every moment of every day. Life isn’t fair when an avid athlete is forced to stop all athletic activity and spend months in the hospital due to a heart condition. Life isn’t fair when car accidents claim the lives of teenagers who have a life full of potential yet to live. Life at times just isn’t fair. However, when all seems lost at the end of the day I can open my Bible and realize that everything that goes on around me, even all the unfairness, is in someone else’s control, someone with a lot more power.

This I believe: Life may not be fair, but God is in control of any and every situation. He is in control of even the situations that to me seem unfair. He knows my future, and knows how to care for me. He is able to take even the worst situation and enable something good to come out of it. One of my favorite promises that God gives to me comes from Jeremiah 29:11 which says, “For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future.” Sometimes I may not understand God’s plans for our lives, but I can always go to Him with our concerns. How amazing it is to know that God is ultimately in control of our lives, and that His plans for us are ones out of love and commitment.