David - Grand Rapids, Michigan

This I believe

Have you ever heard the phrase that grades aren’t everything? This is a phrase to comfort students upset with their academic performance and it has slowly become one of the biggest lies I have ever heard in my lifetime. When someone says to you, “Grades aren’t everything”, it is so easy to just believe them and think everything is right under the sun and act like part of the Brady bunch family with a “do better next time” mentality. In today’s society, grades are everything from applying to colleges, graduate schools, jobs, grades are everywhere and they are a measure of your worth as a person. Sounds pretty harsh doesn’t it? I hate to admit it but what grades one gets can determine the next few years of their life or more.

I believe that grades are everything and there is not much the average student/applicant can do to buck the trend. For me, grades have been a problem since day one. Dating back to when I was younger, I always got the average grades, the average participation, was the average student. This being said, one could imagine how many times this phrase was ringing in my head. When thinking about the grades you get throughout your school years, it is hard to focus when the next grade you get could very well be a chain reaction. That grade leads to the grades of high school, the grades in high school leads to what college you go to, what college you go to leads to what job you get, how much money you make, where you live, the kind of family you have, the kind of life you have…

Let’s slow down for a minute and look at where these grades are based off of. The ability to take tests in a short amount of time, the ability to hand in homework that takes five minutes to partially put forth enough effort to get by, and the papers that consumed hours of lives that no one can get back. These three evaluations alone are what decide your life in a nutshell. What frightens me about that is the amount of pressure put on grades takes priority over a healthy Christian life. If we are to live a life for God, the Bible pretty much speaks against the fact of living for worldly things and by all definitions of the word, grades are definitely worldly things. Therefore, to live a life for God is to live a life unconcerned with worldly things and to live a life unconcerned with worldly things is to live a life not so concerned with grades. Grades shouldn’t be everything, but they are.