Erica - Bend, Oregon
Themes: illness

Miracles in the Face of Suffering

Life Isn’t Fair. Just a few short weeks ago when my college English class started working on our “this I believe” papers, my younger brother age 13 was hospitalized for an infection around his heart and lungs. After several emergency surgeries he is still very weak and it will probably take a few more weeks and possibly another surgery before he begins to recover. The doctors said this is an extremely rare condition. What makes him so special that he contracted this problem and had to endure so much pain? Life isn’t fair; it’s as simple as that. It wasn’t his fault or anybody else’s fault that this happened to him. What makes up your DNA and your family are often out of your control. You are born into a family and a genetic code.

Over the past semester I have been tutoring at a low income school with impoverished children. Often times they have broken families, not enough food to eat, their clothes are old, and nobody is at home to help them with their homework. None of these kids asked to be in this situation and they don’t deserve to be there either. Life isn’t fair. It isn’t fair for my brother or the kids that I tutor. It’s a fact of life. It’s a result of general sin and it isn’t profound.

But sometimes good happens in the face of suffering and despair. Grace can be showered upon you and a miracle can happen. Miracles are also not fair or deserved. They are a gift. They can be large or small. During my brother’s hospital stay hundreds of people came to visit. They cooked for my family and provided generous support. Our neighbor even stayed overnight at the hospital with my mother a few times. The miracle of compassion was showered upon my family. It was warming and soothing. It’s what brought everyone through the long days and uncertainty. It reminded me that despite the fact that bad things happen, good is always possible. God used other people to be the miracle for my family so maybe I can be the miracle for someone else. The friends and family that blessed us with compassion will never understand the magnitude in which they have helped. That is why I won’t give up on tutoring. It may seem a small and insignificant task at times, one that doesn’t seem to be making much of a difference. But one never really knows how much they help the next person and maybe God can use me and I can be the miracle for one of children I tutor. This I believe: Life isn’t fair. But life’s injustices provide room for miracles.