Michael - Schererville, Indiana

It was my senior year in high school. I was the captain of the varsity basketball team and we were playing in the regional final on our own home court. My teammates and I worked very hard to get in this position. The game started off great. I made my first four shots of the game, all of which were three pointers. We jumped out to a big early lead.

At one point we built a twenty point lead only to see it fall to four points late in the game.

It was a very close and intense game, down to the wire. We pulled off the monumental victory and had captured only the 3rd regional title in the school’s history. The whole gym was going crazy and we all celebrated the big win together. It was great to experience this with all of my teammates. This was one of the best feelings I have ever had in my life; it was great for me to be able to share it with other people who were feeling as happy as I was. Although everyone on the team played different roles, we were all needed in order for us to succeed together. Everyone accepted their role and fulfilled it, which is why it felt so good to do what we did. I believe that the joy you feel when achieving something with others is a far greater feeling than if you accomplish something independently.

Being part of a team is a great experience. You learn many valuable lessons being on a team. A team doesn’t just have to be a sports team. Anything can be considered a team if you are working with other people for a common goal. Being on a team requires a lot hard work and commitment. When everyone works together is when the team succeeds. When on a team, you need to put yourself second and the team first.

I have had success in sports both independently and as a sports team. It feels great when you achieve something on your own, but it not the same feeling as when you do it with teammates. When you do something independently there is nobody there that feels the same way you do. People will be proud of you and happy for you, but they don’t get to share in the joy as much as you do. The regional final game I mentioned earlier is a great demonstration for this. I played really well that game; I had twenty points and five assists. I played well, but if we didn’t win the game I would have felt hardly any joy at all because my team lost. Even though I did really well, it didn’t matter because my team didn’t win. Thankfully, this was not the case. We did win, so I was able to enjoy it with all of my teammates. Therefore, as mentioned before, I believe the feeling you get when you succeed as part of a team is far greater than when you achieve something independently.