Sarah - Rockford, Michigan

Are you worthy to drink the perfect brew?

It’s been a twenty hour drive, so far, back from Colorado, visiting the relatives. Desperately in need of gas, you make your turn into the nearest gas station. Besides needing to use the restroom and fueling up for the last hour of your drive home, a cup of coffee beckons you. As you make your way to the coffee pot in the back of the station, you realize the coffee looks like its growing. You have no doubt in your mind that the pot has been on the burner for at least four hours. Reluctantly you pour a glass, knowing that if you do not drink the horrible sludge being poured into your cup, you might fall asleep at the wheel.

You drive away feeling that you have some how been cheated by the station, and curse at it, vowing to never go there again. You wish that you lived near by a Starbucks. But right now, not even Starbucks could fix the trance that you will be driving in for the next hour. There just is no possible way that even four shots of espresso would be able to keep you up. So then you admit that coffee will never be able to meet the expectations that you have set for it. This I believe: that only God can make the perfect cup of coffee.

What is a perfect cup of coffee you say? One that has just the right amount of flavor, smoothness, and caffeine to not make you addicted, but madly in love. The one cup of coffee that would make you return for another one, no matter what the distance or price of the drink. Only God could make that perfect cup of coffee that would make you think you died and went to heaven. You want proof you say? Well I have never actually had a perfect cup of coffee. There have been good ones that is for sure. One missing just a little bit of sugar, but when you put a little more in it just doesn’t taste right. Or the dreadful cup that could have been brewed just a little stronger, or a little weaker.

Starbucks is really the only place that comes close to getting it right. When you are comparing an almost perfect cup of coffee with the mystical never had perfect cup of coffee though, you seem to lead to the side that Starbucks is the best. If I was to speculate I would say that when God is not up in heaven drinking his own perfect cups of coffee, he is probably at Starbucks reading a book, and wishing he were back at home.

I really am searching for that flawless hot drink that fills my every need and desire from my inner core out. As far as I’m concerned everyone here on earth is unqualified to make my unspoiled, unblemished coffee. And God is the only one with the knowledge to make it superb.