Amy - Gaylord, Michigan

“Dance First. Think Later.”

The lights fade from existence as the air billows with excitement. The hushed breath of the crowd can be heard throughout the stiff atmosphere surrounding the stage. All are waiting, waiting for the curtain to part and the show to begin. As the last door seals, the dim glow of the carpet lights illuminates the vast darkness of the auditorium. Music rises, lights flash, all eyes fall upon the stage as dancers abound from its wings. The show has begun. The audience, though restless with enthusiasm and anticipation, can now settle in for an evening of finesse and talent, indulging in the beauty and grace of the dancers – a sight never to be missed.

To touch, to move, to inspire – this is the true gift of dance. “Dancers are the athletes of God,” noted Albert Einstein, and the abilities that they possess surpass all aspirations. From the poise and elegance of ballet to the rigid beats of the Celtic drum, each dancer can express emotion in his or her own way. Dancing is truly a short-cut to happiness and an expression of the heart.

I believe a day I don’t dance is a day I don’t live. As my true passion, it is simply a part of my life, a part of me. Every person should experience the freedom of dance within his or her lifetime. Even Socrates learned to dance, at the age of 70! because he felt that an essential part of himself had been neglected. “Dance first. Think later. It’s the natural order.” This explains the mindset of a real dancer. Like life, dance exists as you’re flitting through it and when it’s over it’s gone. It is truly a gift that cannot be wasted; choreographer George Balanchine said, “I don’t want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.” Well, I have to dance. It’s not an option – it’s my life support.

The art of dancing is found in all realms of life. As I flip through my Bible, I am reminded that the Lord “turned my wailing into dancing” and watched joyously as “with dancing, they praised His name.” The act of dancing gives one the ability to vent, be inspired, be inspiring, and communicate with and through another realm. I am certain that “anyone who says sunshine brings happiness has never danced in the rain.” Dancing is life; life is dancing.