Luke - Tulsa, Oklahoma
Themes: war

This I Believe Essay: Support Our Troops

Picture this: You are in a place far away from your home and everything you know. The temperature is a sweltering 112 degrees. You are loaded down with gear, making it even hotter. Bullets are flying all around you, and you have watched many of your friends die. You are risking your life every day. Risking your life for people you have never even met.

I believe soldiers are the bravest men on the planet. They are faced with more danger than most of us will see throughout our entire lives. And they volunteered to do it.

Right now there are young men in foreign countries giving their lives for me, giving their lives for you. These are men we will never even meet. The least we can do is support them and pray for them.

Whether we agree with the war they are fighting for or not, we should always agree with the soldiers. They are giving us a gift every day. They give the gift of freedom, the gift of living in a country without dictatorship, the gift of prosperity and success. Accept this gift. Do not take it for granted. We may not always have it. Never forget those who fight and give their lives every day for your freedoms.

I remember watching a documentary on America during the Vietnam War. There was a lot of social tension during that time over the war. One group of people believed what the United States was doing in Vietnam was right, another believed otherwise. When the soldiers came home from the war, many Americans spit on them, called them names, and disrespected them horribly. What kind of thankfulness is that? The soldiers simply followed their orders. They did not make the decisions; they obeyed and trusted that the decisions their superiors were making were right. That’s more than you can say for many people. I’m sure plenty of the soldiers did not agree with the war, but they submitted and carried out the tasks assigned to them. This is what they were spit on for, for defending the very people that spit in their faces.

Right now there is a very similar situation going on in Iraq. There is the same split in the views of the war, and unfortunately some of the same attitudes toward our troops. It should not be this way. Every one of those troops is someone’s son, someone’s brother, someone’s daddy, giving his life for all of us. At least give them the respect they are due, whether or not you agree with what they are ordered to do. This I believe. Support our troops.