Christine - Ralston, Nebraska

I believe that everything in life is fate and everything happens for a reason. No matter how good or bad it seems at times, it’s all for a reason. This year I have really begun to realize this, as people continue to grow older and friendships start to begin or fade. Senior year is a defining year for a student as they are beginning to be considered an adult and they are forced to make major decisions that will affect the rest of their life.

At the beginning of this school year I had a good friend, who we will call Susie. Susie and I had grown up together and been to school with one another ever since kindergarten. Shortly after the beginning of the year, Susie and her boyfriend broke up and things started to change. Each and every day Susie continually grew further and further away from the group. Things were always awkward when Susie was around because her ex-boyfriend was always there too.

After Christmas vacation, Susie began to ignore me, and some others in the group. She no longer spoke to me and when I would try to talk to her, she would turn away without a response. At first this hurt. I could not understand why she would just completely ignore me. I knew she saw and heard me, yet she left without a word. How did I not even deserve a “hi” back?

From this event I have begun to understand that everything happens for a reason, including the loss of a friendship. Although we had known each other for many years, we must of just grown apart. I then decided that this must have been the way it was suppose to be, our lack of friendship. There have been many memories between us, but they do not seem to matter anymore. I would like to say that we are at least acquaintances now, but I don’t think we are even that.

Although I still do not completely comprehend what happened between us, it was probably for the better. We both have moved on in our lives and hang out with different people. I wish her luck in her future and maybe some day we will run into one another and maybe that day, we will both of grown up a little, and maybe, just maybe, we will be able to say “hi” once again like we once did.