Lucy - Pennsburg, Pennsylvania
Themes: sports, work

Play Hard in the Game of Life

It’s a tied game, two teams of athletes breathe hard while sweat pools below them. Ten slow seconds left in the game, the championship. Each team has their own strategies to win. They focus on their strong points and hide their weaknesses. To me, life is like this game and everyone has their own. In my game of life, my strategy is to play hard.

I play hard in school. To play hard in school, I push myself to understand every lesson that teachers teach to me. When I understand all the lessons, I earn myself high grades. I also play hard in school by making sure that I don’t fall asleep during the morning classes and I don’t fall behind in classes I’ve missed due to sports.

I play hard at sports. To play hard at sports I push myself to accomplish goals and set new ones. I push myself in field hockey to run faster and learn how to dribble the ball down the long field. In basketball my goal is to decrease my fouling and increase the number of legal blocked shots and steals. Playing hard in lacrosse means not letting players score goals past me during games and practices. My never ending goal in swimming is to just keep dropping times and learn the strokes so I can swim faster and better.

I play hard in balancing life. I love to stay busy but the occasional break of laziness is good. This requires me, though, to learn how to balance everything in my life including family, friends, sports, and school. I always watch the clock and remember that unlike in sports, I will never know when my time is up in the game of life, so I make sure that everything that is dear to me has a part in my life. For example, weekdays consist of school while weeknights and evenings are dedicated to sports. Weekends are for family, friends, and relaxation. I’ve mastered how to balance everything and learned that the clock can be a friend and a foe.

Five seconds now left in the championship game. The score still tied and there is one last chance for each team to take the win. Each team relies on their strengths but one comes out on top. The winning team not only hid their weaknesses but also showed off their strengths. They played their best game, their hardest game. I, like the winning team, play hard in my game of life.