Stephanie - 49507, Michigan

In the moments of silence…in the 3 am ness of wondring…this I belive…I wonder of the yearnings of wondering…of wwondering. I am a Christian who wonders about the longings of the jews who, llike Imre Kertesz who experenced the fatelessness of wondering…and I wonder. How does the Hholocaust affect the Christian who is not a Jew? How doew the Christian come into contact withe the Jewishness of Holocaust? How dos one who has not experineced the torture…the alienation of Holocaust come to terms with it? After so much time? After so much cost? As a Christian I say that we must…..we must experinece the difference of holocaust to come to terms with the present of torture in iraq…in Darfur…in China…in the pain of present existence…we must…we must….if we as a people are to come to terms with the existence of nations veiled in silence…we must…we must come te terms with the silence of nations ane yet make a voice. This i believe…that silence is not a voice…that silence is yet another 23 pages of nothing…oa joke to go unnoticed. If we are to make a difference the silence must be shattered by the magnitude of action….

Many people today are stilling the voice of silence with aciton and we must foin them. I teach students every day to end the silecen with voice….with action….and yet the voice is unheard by the majority of listneres…Listen….listen to the voice of students who are crying to be heard…listen to the voice of hte poet that claims peace in the midst of torture…listen to the voice of the unquieted in the midst of quiet….the students amont us are speaking…give them the voice of power over prejudice. the voice of race over racims…the voice of gender over sexims…give them the voice…let them speak and speak well..they will surprise us with their adolescnet genius.