Angela - Union Gap, Washington

I believe we naturally give others the benefit of the doubt. During first dates, greetings in public or over the internet, we tend to actually make ourselves more vulnerable and susceptible to being deceived. Unfortunately we tend to continue that routine until we are taken advantage of in any way. In most cases, we allow this to happen because false assumption could completely destroy an amazing friendship. Friendship is a relationship which takes time to build. There are many steps and stages to achieving a true friendship, however, one can think building a friendship is like planting a garden.

For many people, planting a garden represents devotion and relaxation. Gardens require nurturing and tenderness as do friendships. It takes patience to grow a garden but frustrations and hardships are also involved in the process. When the seed is planted, it builds the foundation of a strong and healthy plant. It must be taken care of and watered daily. When it begins sprouting, one can see it maturing day by day as it flourishes. Frustration occurs when one witnesses insects and predators preying on the beautiful developing garden. Hard work and devotion regenerates the gardens beauty and brings life again. Soon blossoms develop and the plants turn into beautiful flowers.

Building a friendship has similar characteristics. One meets a person and plants the seed of friendship. The relationship builds and begins to grow stronger. It requires devotion of time and patience to achieve high communication between two acquaintances. The struggle to keep a solid bond includes many obstacles and hardships. But compromising, rising above adversity, and devotion pays off in the end. There are times when relationships just are not working and are preoccupied with disagreements, which can lead to the verge of destruction. Both determination and compromise will get that relationship back on track if both sides are willing to cooperate. Now the friendship is finally at its peak and blooming. Its priceless to have a strong and sable relationship which allows the couple to share the joys and memories that life brings them, together.

If building a friendship can be compared to planting a garden, then possibly some of the frustrations can be better understood and easily solved. A person who builds a friendship as planting a garden can overcome the obstacles of it more easily. Also, friendship and planting a garden can be said as “give and take.” The more effort and appreciation put into them, the stronger they grow as eternal happiness is achieved.