Amy - Rolling Meadows, Illinois
Themes: carpe diem

I believe that our society today is too fast paced. So fast paced that when things slow down we become bored and and feel antsy as if we should be doing something, and aren’t using our time effectively. It’s sad really that people today don’t know how to slow down, relax, and enjoy their lives. We focus so much on the tiny details and finishing things step by step in order to achieve our goals rather than sitting down and thinking. We take time to indulge ourselves in starbucks coffee every morning and bicker about the long line slowing us down. We take time to let material things consume us, but we don’t take time to look inside ourselves or to enjoy nature.

We let ourselves fall into this fast paced society driven by the idea that material wealth is directly related to success. I believe that we need to step back every so often and take a look at our lives and decide whether or not we are truly happy with the way things are going. We need to not let traffic jams and lunch lines cause extra stress in our lives. We need to learn that moving slowly is ok. People in today’s society need to learn how to relax and enjoy the world around them. We need to sit in a park on a sunny day and listen to the birds chirp and feel the warmth of the sun beat upon our faces. We need to step out of the hustle and bustle of city streets on the way home from work and look around at all the different people and admire the uniqueness and beauty of the human race.

I believe that life is beautiful and that time is precious. We can’t take life for granted and rush around all of the time. We need to relax and get our priorities straight. I believe that society as a whole needs to get its priorities in line. We need to spend less time working and more time with family and friends. We need to laugh, to cry, and to feel more often. Society is quickly becoming controlled by technology and pretty soon our emotions will be controlled by computer chips. Until then, we need to slow down, relax, and admire the wonder that we call life.