Christopher Lacy - Sullivan, Missouri

Out of My Hands

Panic set in a few months after my daughter Raeghan was born. My wife noticed Raeghan had turned blue during a crying fit. We rushed her to the emergency room in fear of the worst. So with the help of the emergency room doctor, Raeghan was seen the next day by a heart specialist, who diagnosed her with Pulmonary Valve Stenosis (P.V.S.).

The heart specialist had told us P.V.S was a serious heart condition, which would require her to perform surgery, or the condition might heal on its own. She led me to believe surgery would be most likely in Raeghan’s case. But we wouldn’t discus this option until Raeghan turned three years old. It was then I realized the possibility of losing my little girl.

I was full of grief and despair when my wife and I left the specialist’s office that day. The reoccurring images of my blonde haired, blue eyed angel lying in a casket had stolen my peace of mind. For the first time in my life, I was facing something I had no control over; I finally knew what it was like to be scared. I hit my knees in prayer everyday asking God for divine intervention.

God’s love and mercy was revealed when we went back to see the specialist shortly before Raeghan turned three. My wife and I waited nervously for the ultrasound report. The doctor walked in with an expressionless look on her face. She peered over her thick framed glasses and said, “The ultrasound revealed Raeghan is perfectly healthy”. The doctor’s explanation was this was nothing short of a miracle. As the tears of joy started to trickle down my face, I picked Raeghan up and hugged her tightly in my arms. I knew my desperate prayers had been answered.

I believe through prayer miracles happen. Now I pray to God about everything I do, plan to do, or that I have already done. Everyday when I hold Raeghan, I know that when the world deals me a hand I can’t play, I can give it to God in prayer because I know he can.