Judy - Boynton Beach, Florida
Themes: creativity, work

Since the moment I set foot on the Dreyfoos campus, I knew that somewhere in my heart believed that talent was possessed by all but only those that actually tried at it would succeed. Dreyfoos in a way drove me through the good times and rough times while I developed my skills which helped me realize the road to my wanted success was not an easy one.

When I was a sophomore at Dreyfoos I was paid ten dollars a week to instruct a little girl on the flute for a big school performance she was getting ready. She was only a sixth grader then and went to my old middle school. Every week it seemed she seemed to master a new phase of the flute, but as the subjects got harder she seemed to loose her height of enthusiasm. Before I knew it, it was the week before her big solo performance. She was really nervous (and the last couple of lessons were making me quite nervous as well).

The night of the performance was the magical night that secured my belief in cultivating talents. As I watched her walk on stage I could tell every bone in her little body shook with excitement and fear all at once. She slowly took her seat and stared blankly at the audience. When the conductor started the band it seemed to give her a hidden confidence I had once viewed at the beginning of her lessons. Then as she played her solo it was as if their was a little sparkle in her eyes. She knew she worked hard, and this was her reward. Standing ovations, whistles nothing less.