Edgar - Chico, California

I believe that we can learn from animals

I believe that we can learn from animals. In my life, I’ve had pets of different kinds and sizes. They included ducks, geese, rabbits, chickens, cats and dogs. Right now I have a Chihuahua mixed dog.

One day I was searching for something in the closet and I came across a red bag. I opened the bag and found hundreds of photos from my baby days to the last vacation. I started observing the baby photos. I came across a picture of me as a baby of about a year old and I was in a small swimming pool indoors, then to the left of me was a bird in a cage which I was trying to open. From few memories and from my parents words I learned more about the bird I used to have.

My parents bought me a cockatiel as a pet bird to serve me as a companion since I didn’t have any siblings yet. I was a little over a year old when I got the bird. My parents kept the bird in the living room and sometimes would leave him out of the cage to wander around the living room. As a curious baby, I tried to catch the bird. I crawled in its direction but I was unable to get it. The cockatiel walked faster than I could crawl. If I tried to corner it in a wall it would fly up and leave me hopeless of catching it. But I insisted and following the bird became my routine for many days. Then one day the routine changed.

I crawled and followed the cockatiel to the couch, but it flew on top of the couch. I got hold to the couch and brought my knees up and for the first time I was up. I looked up but the bird was now down and walking away from me. I imitated the cockatiel’s walk and now I was walking for the first time. The bird taught me how to walk.

Unfortunately, some months later the main entrance door was accidentally left open and the bird flew away. Maybe if he would have stayed a little longer it would’ve taught me how to fly (just kidding).

We can all learn from animals in different ways. For example, weren’t airplane wings inspired from birds wings? Weren’t helicopters inspired from hummingbirds? Don’t ants and bees work cooperatively? These are just a few of many examples from animals. Thats why I say we can learn from animals.