Erin - Lino Lakes, Minnesota

Life Needs to be Lived in the Present

As I sit staring at photos on my dorm-room wall, reminiscing, I realize that life is made up of little moments that need to be lived in the present. I can look at any picture and see that at that time, I am smiling and living life as it is meant to be, embracing that moment. I can’t remember the date of the photo most of the time or what I ate for breakfast that day, but rather the people I was with and the way they made me feel. I believe that life is meant to be lived in the present, embraced in every moment and never taken for granted.

I used to live my days waiting for the next weekend and never enjoying the weekdays in school. All of this changed after I watched my grandfather fight until the very end for the very thing I wished would pass faster so I could have my weekend. He was a man who was always happy and never let his health problems get in the way of living every moment to its fullest. He taught me about living for the present, not for the future.

Life is made up of little moments; a beautiful sunrise, a friend’s smile and the smell of fresh laundry, that need to be cherished and embraced because they pass quickly. Since my grandpa died, I try to take in small details and enjoy each one by wondering what life would be like without them. I’ve discovered that some of my favorite things are lazy Sundays at home with the family, a good cup off coffee to accompany a good book, and a long bubble bath.

I believe that life needs to be lived in the present because it is all that I have right here, right now and in a few minutes that beautiful sunset outside my window will vanish beneath the horizon never to be exactly the same again. If everyone would try to live in the little moments of the present, like enjoying the music on the radio in a traffic jam instead of becoming angry, life would be so much better. Life is what you make of it and if we spend every moment thinking about the future rather than what is going on right now, we will one day wake up and realize that life has slipped away unnoticed and unlived. The future needs to be kept in mind, but to make a difference in our future; we need to start by living it now in the present.