Luz - Aurora, Illinois
Themes: integrity

May 08, 2006

I believe in honesty and a good communication with harmony among the people. They are basic qualities that lead a person to get understanding, respect and positive relationship between spouses, a parent and child, other relatives and friends.

Honesty means that the people are able to express their true feelings, and it also means the people speak openly about their fears, hopes and expectations. Sometimes a small lie can have serious consequences. For example, when my father told my mother he liked a meal that he hated ended in bad way because he was eating that meal over and over again, or when I was a child I remember sometimes it was easy for me to tell a lie to my brothers and it created confusion until the truth was told for me. Consequently, a lack of trust is a problem that can weaken communication and a relationship.

Communication does not happen only through words; it happens through actions and gestures, too. Negative criticism can be destructive to people. When you feel sad or lonely and you don’t share these feelings it creates distance and interferes with communication. Sometimes, good communication means respecting another’s silence. It means that we must accept that people sometimes need to be quiet to solve their problems. It is necessary to know how to listen and accept what another person says even if it may not seem important to you but probably is to the speaker.

Some people are probably more successful in their relationships because they have the qualities essential for a loving relationship. However, the lack of these qualities is probably the cause of many problems that we have with other people. So, many of us would benefit from developing those qualities that we don’t have. For example, in my experience taking care of patients I had to work with honesty because you may put in risk the life of the patient. Another example, is when the people get married and divorced over and over again, or others don’t get along on the job. Maybe their lives would be easier if they were better at communication and if they were more honest about their feelings.

As a result, communication and honesty are essential to keep a good relationship, but a lack of trust will destroy a good relationship. Unfortunately, many relationships around the world lack communication and honesty even though most people realize the importance of these qualities in life. For all these reasons, I believe in communication with honesty.