Michele - Chicago, Illinois
Themes: community, love, peace

I cannot help but believe.

I cannot help but believe in order to live, accept myself and the others.

I believe in a God, who believes in me, in a God that is plural. He is my God as well as your God. He is always in front of me, ahead of me and behind me. He challenges me not to settle down and relish the already reached. He asks me to stand up and keep on my journey of liberation, a journey that makes me whole. It is a journey of deep awareness towards freedom that is to be done together with all my human family. It is a journey that begins when I open my eyes and see and escape from the Imperial regime, from the pyramidal wealth accumulation that is built at the expense of humanity and nature exploitation.

It is a long road towards freedom, communion and peace. It is an exodus that brings peoples out of the beast’s belly through the dynamic experience of the desert to Jerusalem, City of Peace, for a new UN.

I believe in you and me. I am because we are. I can’t be without you. I will not be if you are not what you are to be, what you may actually be.

I will be, when I offer myself to allow you to be well, to the fullness of love. It is a matter of an attentive obedience, in listening out of love, to your deep and unspoken words and expectations.

I believe in mother earth, household of the whole human family. It is Our Common Wealth, able to satisfy the basic needs of all its inhabitants. An earth cared for by a Common Good Global Management that bans financial transactions, the immoral private possession and the criminal accumulation. A borderless earth where people, and not just goods, can freely move and gratefully live on and share their produce. No one can possess the earth.

I believe in a religion that inspires a new social creativity, a new politics: a religion that helps me to reach out and get involved in the common struggle for God’s dream of justice; a religion that becomes a quest for a peaceful and nonviolent future for all children of this world. A human being is the primal and absolute value and not a commodity for the market. Substantial changes in order to support dignity and life for all people can not be brought about by governments. Only people at the grass root level can enforce them by resisting corporations’ policies and their military proxy.

Those who have their stomachs filled will never understand those who starve. I believe that people are not born poor, yet they are impoverished and criminalized. From below a new world’s understanding can be envisioned and implemented. The global genocide must be stopped. How can we come to terms with the fact that more than 10 million children die each year before their fifth birthday? I believe in a simple life to allow the others to simply live.

The poor, the real poor are always right, even when they are wrong.