Wendyida Mireille Landry - Evanston, Illinois
Themes: hope

I believe in my dream

I’m 19. The greatest lesson I’ve ever learned is that I must believe in my dream. I had never really thought about my beliefs until my teacher asked me and my classmates to submit an essay about a personal belief that guides our lives. I‘ve cherished several beliefs, but none of them really motivated me. I do believe in God, in true love, in miracles, and many other things. Still, something was missing in my life. I faced the fact that my life lacked a fulfilling belief. In fact, I was bored of the same routine of the daily life. Life was tasteless.

About two weeks ago, while scanning some books in my school bookstore, I remembered a book with a captivated title “the dream giver” I had seen before at Borders. I bought it and I started reading it in the CTA train while going home. What I was ignoring is that this book was about to light a belief within me. It talks about pursuing one’s dream. In his book, Bruce Wilkinson teaches us about living our dream fully and our responsibility to undertake that God – given dream and to achieve it. I found that he was so right.

When I was a kid and a teenager, I had a big dream. I wanted to make myself a name in this world. I was dreaming of becoming a successful woman and singer. I was longing to be a great humanitarian all other the world. However, as soon as I was walking toward my dream, the reality was on my way. I realized that life isn’t what I intended it to be. I’ve met many challenging obstacles. And I came to believe that I was wrong about taking this path and that not all dreams are meant to come true. It was revolting and heart breaking. What’s the use of having such great dreams just to watch them die or unachieved?

Now, I’m planning to study medicine and I decided to pursue my dream. I believe that each person has a big dream, an important role to fulfill in this world. It’s a life-given responsibility to take or to leave. Believing in one’s dream is not just about dreaming, it‘s also about action. The book I read is a sign that I must never surrender a dream. I accept the challenge. For me, seeing this book wasn’t a coincidence. Somebody is watching me from these skies and does care about me to achieve what I want to be. People often say, there is a huge difference between dreams and reality. But we should dare to dream. There is no naïveté in longing for success and happiness. I truly believe that all dreams are meant to come true, we just need to believe and step courageously to achieve them, and never give them up. That’s why I believe in my dream.