Claudia - Washington, District of Columbia

This I Believe …

I believe that our children are on the verge of self-destruction. I believe this because I hear on the news what seems like every night, a young man is slain. This is usually gang related or a drug deal gone bad. Even more shocking is the increase in girl’s gangs. Parents seem to have lost control over their children due to child abuse issues. The educational system has even lost the ability to educate them to become productive young men and women.

Nightly, I hate to listen to the news for the fear that another young youth has been gunned down by a drive by shooting. With gangs membership is on the rise, these young kids don’t stand a chance. When one of an ex-member is interviewed, you always hear being in a gang is more like family. You can go where you want as long as you in the family of the gang. These young people protect their block (neighborhood) with sole purpose of keeping the gang within the neighborhood. Their main objective is to make money and get rid of their rival gangs.

I believe as a parent, it is my responsibility to raise my children to become productive young women. If parents show children they are really loved and are care for their welfare. By doing this I believe that they will become as asset to the community. I feel strongly that my parents raised my siblings and me to build a stronger statue of life. It is this life that I believe my kids will strive from.

For years, the school system seems to go through a financial burden that affects the learning process. I believe the children are our future. I believe that the children should receive an excellent education, encouraging them towards a higher education. This cannot happen if the schools don’t have books, dedicated teachers, and a strong principal leader.

This I believe whole-heartedly in the success of our children. Being an asset is an accomplishment that feeds the soul, calm the heart and is the statue that cannot be destroyed. Who will save the children? This I believe is the educator who is equally important in shaping a child’s life just as much as the parents. The future lies ahead of each of our children.