Demaruis - Chicago, Illinois

I Believe Grandparents are True Christians

Every thing that grandparents do is with kindness and with meekness from the heart. I believe that they live their lives according to Christ’s teachings. I believe that every thing that my grandparents do is because of their love for Christ and there love for me.

Who would have thought that I would be finally graduating? After four long years at Lewis University I am finally getting ready to graduate. There was a time in my life that I thought I would never be able to graduate from college. After attending four other colleges and universities before finally settling down here at Lewis University I thought it wasn’t meant for me to be a college educated individual. My Grandmother believed in me. Through her belief in me, I began to believe that she was a true Christian, with Christ like qualities.

I can remember almost not making here into college. Thinking back to my first day here on campus, I went to pick up my keys from the office of residence life, and they told me that I needed a validated I.D. So I went to the Business Office and talked to the person at the counter. They told me that I had a balance that needed to be paid in order for me to get my I.D. validated. ….Knowing that my parents had just gave them a check a week ago I thought I was all set and ready to start school, because of a price change in housing I had a balance that we were unaware of. I was so frustrated at the fact that every time I had tried to better myself there would be a door there to close in my face, because at every school I had attended before coming to Lewis I had a problem at so I thought the same thing was going to happen again here. So I jumped in my car for the usual 45 minute drive to my house, but this particular day I was so heated that it only took me 20 minutes to get home.

My grandmother came to the door with a puzzled look on her face; I got out the car and began to unpack my stuff. And as I walked up to the gate I said it’s just not meant for me to -finish school. My grandmother pulled me aside and told me to come into the house. At this point I’m thinking here we go with another speech.

As she followed behind me she stopped turned around and told my brothers and my cousin’s pack everything back into the car. She gave me a speech that put life into perspective for me. As we set on the side of the bed she began to tell me how that there is nothing in this world that you can not do, even though people may try and stop you, you keep on going, because there is a reward in heaven for those who have humbled themselves before God and others and stuck out the fight. Then she went into her bottom drawer got the checkbook out and wrote me a check for $5000. From that day knowing that my grandmother believed in me, made me realize that all the years that I had been growing up and she was telling me that I could do anything that I wanted to do if I put my mind to it. When I think about my Granny, I also to think about all the things she had done for others as well. Every where I turned she was always living out her Christian faith. I believe she is a True Christian.