Tommy - Gig Harbor, Washington
Themes: war

I believe that America should never have instigated the war in Iraq. We are involved in an unjust war that can have no positive impact on our country. The best-case scenario for the outcome would give Iraqi’s freedom, but what good does that do the average American? President Bush has thrown our hard-earned tax dollars away on a war that can’t do anything positive for our country.

The Declaration of Independence was written in part because our forefathers did not want another country’s ideals and policies forced on them. Now we are the ones forcing our ideals and policies on another country. Sure, Saddam Hussein was a vicious dictator, but if we take him down doesn’t that mean we should topple every dictator? That is an unrealistic approach; America should focus on our own issues and problems instead of the problems of another country.

The constitution states that the people will “promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity”. Call me selfish, but I believe that means we need to look out for ourselves and our descendants. Why should we defend the rights of people halfway across the globe when the millions of dollars spent on the war could help poor families or reduce the national debt?

The bill of rights grants several rights to American citizens. However, America does not need to sacrifice the lives of our young men to give these rights to non-citizens. I’m not saying the Iraqi’s don’t deserve freedom, but the lives of our American brothers are more important to our country than the lives of Iraqis.

This war is killing thousands of American men. Iraq will be able to celebrate their freedom, but not without American blood on their soil. This war will do nothing for America but hurt the economy, increase the debt, and most importantly, take the lives of our men.