Tena - Chadron, Nebraska
Themes: nature

I believe in the power of Nature to teach and heal

Spending time in nature restores my belief that “this too will pass”. Whether I am experiencing good times or bad – they will pass just as surely as snow will melt and flowers will bloom.

I believe in the power of nature to heal. During a particularly stressful time in my life, I took a walk in the hills south of my home. I discovered a tall, straight, proud sunflower sprouting from a narrow crack in the top of a large rock. This moment spoke to my soul as surely as any sermon or counseling session. It was a message that I needed. This flower was succeeding in spite of all odds. It reminded me that I also have within me a divine spark.

Last November I observed a large flock of geese flying south at 5:30 in the morning. The town lights reflected off of their white bellies. Their chatter entranced me as I stood looking up, listening to what they were communicating, in awe of their strength to fly long distances, amazed by their inner knowledge to fly south for the winter.

To learn the lessons nature has to offer, I’ve discovered I must stop, remain still, listen and observe my surroundings. I have stood in a box canyon in the spring and actually heard the snowmelt percolating down into the soil.

Have you ever received a more sincere sympathy card than a warm orange and purple sunset? Have you ever received a balloon bouquet as bright as a golden sunrise?

When daffodil or tulip spears push up through a mat of dead brown leaves or snow I think of the famous Albert Camus Quote “In the midst of winter I finally learned that there was within me an invincible summer.”

George Eliot also made a profound statement about nature when she wrote, “Animals are such good friends – they ask no questions and offer no criticism.”

Nature has the ability to teach and heal – This I believe.