Cole - Loveland, Colorado

I believe that all things happen for a reason. Nine years ago a car hit my mom while she was jogging on Wilson a road in Loveland, Colorado, and since then nothing in her life is the same. (After being struck by a car and splitting her skull open, breaking her pelvis, losing a kidney, breaking her foot in half, and having damage to her calf, because that is where the tire hit before she was thrown seventy-two feet in the air, into a field.) Once she was out of the three weeks she spent in intensive care at University hospital in Denver, she was on her way home were she got to remain in traction for three months as her body healed. Physical training was next, where the Doctor insured her that if she could ever walk again, she for sure would never run again. But she over/came this, and that same year she ran the Bolder-boulder 10K race. If you ask her she will say that the accident was exactly what she need to get her attention that she needed to change. As a result of the accident, her life was altered in three main regions, her job, school, and exercise.

Before the accident, my mom held a pretty good position at the City of Loveland, but it was not where she wanted to spend the rest of her professional career. So she made a change to working part time for one of my Dad’s close friends, where she got a taste for commercial buying. She stayed there for a while doing that job and liking it, but it was not what she needed to feel satisfied. So, it was back with the city in a completely different position, where now she was doing the buying for them. Although the city was most definitely not the place she wanted to stay at, she remained there for a couple of years working part time and going to school. Which leads me to present day where my mom works at Platte River Power Authority in Fort Collins and loves it.

Also, after overcoming the odds and recovering from the accident, she had a new sense of capability. She knew that she would finally do what she had been putting off; she would finish her degree. First, she got her associates degree from Aims Community College, and then her bachelors from Regis University where she graduated at the top of her class with honors and a 4.0 all the way through. Lastly, my Mom is a fitness fanatic now, before the accident she loved to run. When running she was at peace, she truly loved it running. She ran many races that ranged in distance. But after the accident she completed a half marathon, works out typically twice a day, running five miles in the morning and lifting after work or on her lunch break. Today she is healthier than ever.