Nicole - Maplewood, Minnesota

I believe…

I believe with a little push, you can achieve your goals.

At the end of January 2005, my family and I decided to have an intervention for my brother Chad. We all met at my Dad’s house, in the garage. We were unaware of how Chad was going to react. I remember a warm, heavy feeling set in my chest as we waited. My dad called Chad on the phone, “I think you should get home, there are some people here to see you. Bye.”

Our plan was to let Chad know that we all knew he has a problem; and we wanted to help him face this addiction. All our eyes were red and damp with tears. As Chad arrived he lifted his head up when he walked in the door and saw all of us standing there. I could tell he was high by the desperation in his eyes. He turned pale in the face and his eyes reddened. My aunt was the first one to say, “Chad, I think you know why we are here. We want you to know that we all love you and care about what happens to you and your life.” He paced around as we told him how we wanted the real Chad back. I asked if he thought his drug use was a problem and if he felt he no longer had control of his life. He looked at me with a glare and didn’t give an answer. I knew the answer, and so did he. After an hour and a half of pleading with him, he agreed to attend an inpatient treatment program. We tried to take him right then and there, but he said he would go when he is ready. He was admitted to St. Joseph’s Hospital two days later for an inpatient treatment program. I visited Chad as often as I could, making sure to show him how proud I was of him.

I am two years younger than Chad and growing up I realized that I didn’t want my life to be like his; I remember thinking about that when I was thirteen. My dad would get calls from the police in the middle of the night and I would hear him yell, “Damn it!” He would then get out of bed, get dressed and go pick up my brother from the police station. I knew then I did not want to be in Chad’s shoes, ever.

However, I am now very proud of my brother. He found himself face to face with a very overwhelming addiction. He was addicted to alcohol and Methamphetamines. His life was in a downward spiral with no end in sight. However, Chad had a will to survive and because of this he overcame his addiction.

I have personally chosen not to waste my life by making the same bad choices my brother made. I choose to be happy and keep my mind clear of all the obstacles that drugs and alcohol would bring into my life. I live my life with a sober mind because I know how drugs and alcohol affect the people in your life that love and care about you.

For the individuals in my life who have chosen to use drugs and alcohol I try to encourage sobriety. Encouragement can be very powerful. You can show people you care by giving them a little push and a reason to overcome an obstacle they are faced with. I believe I can help people achieve their goals or overcome obstacles just by showing them some encouragement.

My relationship with my brother has grown tremendously in the last year due to the fact that there is so much respect between us now. I respect him for the decision he made to clean himself up and he respects me for giving him the little push he needed. I knew he would overcome his addiction and I think I helped to give him the confidence he needed. Finally, I believe with a little push, you can achieve your goals.