Alexander - Buffalo Grove, Illinois
Themes: democracy

Democracy was a concept first invented by the ancient Greeks. Its main idea was that everyone had an equal and fair say in government without the fear of reprisals from others who did not believe what they did. I believe in this concept and believe that democracy is a gift to all mankind. This idea of democracy has carried over into the modern world over the past two hundred or more years.

I believe that democracy is a sacrosanct idea, and that a pure democracy would be hastening an arrival of a better world. As Andrew Jackson once said, “Democracy shows not only its power in reforming governments, but in regenerating a group of men-and this is the greatest blessing of free governments.” I believe in this quote and think it is important to America today. In America, the president has lost focus from the true meaning of democracy, and the inherent meaning within of human rights. He thinks that spying on his people and lying to them is perfectly fine. He needs to take a step back from the situation and remember the essence of democracy, understand that just because some have different ideas than he does, they are not enemies. I believe that when he does this, he will become a better president and a better person.

I believe that democracy is such a sacrosanct idea because it includes everyone, rich and poor, black and white, all races from all different backgrounds. In today’s society, there are always people not included, whether it is from a sports team or a club, college or a job, friends or family. However, during election time, everyone can vote and have their voice heard. No one is left out with any voice.

I believe that democracy is such a good idea because it works so well. As proof of this, every election year, the people of the U.S. argue, fight; debate, and so on up to and after the election. People care about the way things are done, and they have rallies, speeches, and marches to join others for a common cause.

I believe that democracy is so sacrosanct because the idea of democracy in the modern world is uniquely American. No one can claim that they had democracy before America did, or say, that they have a democracy that works better than America’s. It is to America as socialism is to France and communism was to Russia. I believe that this should stay this way and America should not tamper with what is already pure.

America has always been known as the land of the free. This is not from the bargain sales at the grocer, but from democracy. Democracy is a slice of America, right up there with baseball and apple pie. It is sacrosanct, something that is so flawless that it ought not to be touched. It includes everyone, and it works like a fine-tuned engine, so smooth that it is an unblemished process. The power of democracy is what I believe in.