Kimberley - Arlington Heights, Illinois
Themes: love, setbacks

I believe in love. I believe that some day, one day, I will truly cherish (and suffer through) love. I believe life isn’t worth living if you don’t have anyone to share it with. Love comes in many different forms. There is “puppy love.” There is the “mommy and daddy love you” kind of love. There is the “I love that friend and I couldn’t live without them” love. There is even the love of one’s self. Now I am not talking about some egotistical, conceited, self-righteous kind of person. I just mean loving one’s self, for both qualities and flaws, so that one can love another individual.

However, the way I understand it, there is no love like that of true love for just one other person. I am Catholic and go to church every Sunday. Recently, I went to the Easter Sunday mass, and a couple was celebrating 47 years of marriage. When I considered two people spending 24 hours a day in love for 365 days per year for 47 years, I realized that they spent over 400,000 hours caring for one another-trust never faltering and hearts never breaking enough to just give up. When I congratulated them after the mass, they replied with something along the lines of, “You’ll find your soul mate, just like we did. People with good hearts always do.”

That led me to thinking about how desperately we all crave the coveted emotion referred to as love. Individuals are born into families where they yearn to be loved. Hopefully, they are, and then the growing up period passes. Most hope to start their own families with that one person with whom they can have an intimate relationship and love until death does them part.

Death didn’t have to come to part my parents though. They began divorcing when I was nine. They have officially divorced, yet they still find reasons to go to court every couple of months six years later. I couldn’t then, nor can I really now, comprehend how two people could just “fall out” of love. Love has always been such a wonderful thing to me, which I look forward to experiencing. Yet that same thing I thought to be so fantastic was the source of my parents hate and hurt.

I think I have begun to understand why people desire to love and be loved. It is so that they feel needed; to have that one person to connect with; to feel like life is worth living. I believe in love. I believe that some day, one day, I will truly cherish (and suffer through) love. It comes in many different forms. I believe I need them all: my parents’ love, my friends’ love, my love for myself. I believe I need to experience it with just one person though, too. In the end I truly believe life isn’t worth living if you have no one to share it with.