Huijie - Arlington Heights, Illinois

Miracles Happen

At the ripe old age of fourteen, I am convinced that miracles of all sizes have occurred throughout my life, and that I am extremely blessed. Some of these miracles were subtle, and others were blatantly obvious, but they were all sent to me by a higher being.

When I moved thousands of miles away from the only home I ever knew, I found a friend by absolute chance. That day in second grade, when she rescued me from the claws of those superficial girls at recess, she saved me from the loneliness that surely would have persisted over the next four years. We accepted each other’s differences and paved the path to a solid, trusting friendship. She is one of the few people who truly won’t judge me, regardless of my actions. We need each other, and God knows that. She was my counterpart during my years in elementary school, and we made, and still make, quite a team. Megan was sent to me in a time of hardship. I may not have noticed it at first, but she’s definitely an angel in disguise.

I found basketball a year after my father was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer, right at the point where it was getting pretty bad. The fact that I couldn’t stand the game before his diagnosis makes the sudden willingness to play some coincidence, or what I like to think, a miracle. The sport comforted me when nothing else could, gave me something to do so I could avoid the harsh truth, which was that he wasn’t going to get better. After he died, I threw myself into it whole-heartedly, playing nonstop for hours every day, rain or shine. The game became my life, my safety net. It wouldn’t ever leave me. No, I could trust it without being betrayed. It brought me peace, or at least something like it. I could vent out on the court. I couldn’t cope with grief like everyone else, so God found me a way so that I could.

The most convincing bit of evidence that turned me into a believer of miracles involved a deadly accident I suffered seven months ago. A car slammed into me at a full 45 mph. I survived, but I know that I didn’t just get lucky. I suffered a massive concussion, broke a handful of bones, and dislocated my leg. Be aware that this is one of the best-case scenarios. Firstly, I am supposed to be dead. Secondly, by the off chance that I lived, I should be permanently disabled, physically and mentally. That fact that I can still look forward to a normal future on this planet makes me a walking miracle. And as much as I’m thankful for all of my blessings, I’m hoping that I won’t have to witness too many more miracles in this lifetime.