Shawna - 1730, Massachusetts

In October 2003 my CD, ‘Goddess Chant’, was the top selling CD in Women’s Music. I had also just turned in the final edited manuscript of my first book, ‘The Way of Song: A Guide to Freeing the Voice and Sounding the Spirit’. Although I should have been on top of the world, I knew something was terribly wrong.

One month later I was diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease by a neurologist who was also on the faculty of the Harvard Medical School. After examining me for 20 minutes and taking an oral history of my symptoms this distinguished doctor pronounced I had an incurable, degenerative condition and that I would never perform again.

At that point, although utterly stunned and experiencing physical shock, I excused myself saying I was going to seek another opinion. I was intimately aware of the terrible decline that lay ahead for me because I had seen my Father-in-law waste away from Parkinson’s.

With a leaden heart I came home to tell my husband the news. I kept saying, “I’m so sorry” imagining him helplessly watching me decline.

What happened next astonished me. My husband responded by saying, “There is no such thing as Parkinson’s. They can’t see it, test for it, or cure it because it doesn’t exist” This was such a radical idea that it stopped me from completely surrendering and organizing my beliefs around the hopeless Parkinson’s diagnosis I had just received.

I decided instead to align my beliefs and life force with hope itself. I started by writing a ‘medicine song’ I sang, “I am vibrantly healthy, my hand and my arm and my wrist work perfectly”.

And I also began repeating the phrase, “Bodies know how to heal”, in my mind. At the same time I began searching for a different answer to my condition.

Two years later I was having dinner with some friends when a nurse and homeopath turned to me and said, “I don’t think you have Parkinson’s disease, I think you have heavy metal poisoning. Go and get tested.”

I contacted my physician, Dr. Glenn Rothfeld, a leading doctor in promoting alternative medicine and asked him to arrange the testing for heavy metals

When the tests came back, they showed I had mercury in my cells at dangerously high levels. This was undoubtedly caused by the Mercury vapors released by my dental amalgam fillings. But much more surprising was that the test showed I had extremely high levels of lead. The lead content in my body was literally off the chart. I looked up the symptoms of lead and mercury poisoning and was amazed to find they were exactly the same as my symptoms.

I am presently involved in actively detoxing the mercury and lead.

The tremors have stopped and my energy is coming back to me. As the poisons leave my body a growing sense of well-being is returning. I continue to chant, “I am vibrantly healthy” and ‘bodies know how to heal” with more and more conviction and gratitude.