Steve - Knoxville, Tennessee

Go Ahead, I Quit

Looking back when I was growing up, I am reminded of all the motivational advice I received throughout the years. Parents, coaches, teachers, and celebrities alike, all preached the same philosophy. The common theme was that in order to succeed, I must follow through with what I start, with all my energy, and never give up at any cost. It was more than just spirited advice given at halftime, or at the start of a new school year, it was a lesson in life. I had to adopt this never quit, do or die motto, or risk being a failure. The pressure was on, but I was determined to see things until the end because I didn’t want to be a quitter. Nobody likes a quitter.

Now as an adult, I have experienced real life, with real dilemmas and real consequences. I have realized that the never give up philosophy is actually counter productive, and in some cases, made my life more difficult. I understand that I have responsibilities, but it does not mean that I must be locked into anything for fear of giving up. I find it foolish to believe that determination alone will bring me success in all that I attempt, because perfection in not that simple. I am not perfect, I am human. I make mistakes, bad decisions, wrong turns, and costly errors. Repeating mistakes or living out a bad decision is only a waste of my time. I have already wasted enough time, so now I believe in a new life strategy. I believe in quitting.

I believe in quitting an unsatisfying job, a draining relationship, an unattainable hobby, or an unhealthy habit. Quitting will free up the time, money, and potential that would other wise be wasted trying to bring life, to something already dead. I believe in order to start something fresh, I must first quit something rotten.

I have found that closing one door can open several others. I believe that quitting is a chance at something new, a change, a rite of passage to a better tomorrow. I no longer fear the idea of quitting, but embrace it and the changes quitting can bring. I believe ending one thing to start another is progress, and with this in mind, I must now find my new beginning. I must stop writing. I must quit.