Amanda - Knoxville, Tennessee
Themes: setbacks, work

Every since I can remember, I have been accident prone. When I was seven, I broke my left arm in two places (when somebody tripped me). When I was eight, I broke the same arm, in the same two places (after being pushed off of a slide). Then again, when I was thirteen, same arm, same two places (sliding into third base). The third break was followed by two surgeries that same year, on that same arm. Those were huge moments in my life, and I see the scars every day. However, I could not really do anything to protect myself from my breaks. No protection could have helped, unless, I was wrapped in bubble rap. My arm does not come close to two other accidents that happened the five years between my second and third breaks. The first memory not as bad as the second one.

I was eight or nine rollerblading around my neighborhood with my two best friends. I tripped going down a hill and ended up going down a portion of the hill on my left knee. Lots of blood and an ugly scar are the memories of being a young kid with no cares in the world and no protection, to, well… protect me.

My second memory still hurts when I think about it. I was on my bike, on the way to a pool party, for a friends tenth birthday. No thoughts in the world, except, how cool my new bike was. I was almost to her street. My sandal came off and stuck in the spoke of my wheel. I flipped over and landed right on the top of my head. I was terrified. I could not move and I was laying in the middle of the busiest street in the neighborhood.

I cannot remember his face or his voice, but I will always remember the first man on the scene. I felt bad, he was on the way to his wedding, but he could not just pass me up. He told me I was lucky because I had had my helmet on . I had some towels in my

backpack so I got lucky with them cushioning my back and neck. But I am living proof to helmets save lives. I could be minus more scars had I worn more protection, when I was rollerblading. It is important for me to stress the importance of being safe when having fun to all of the kids that I care for. Whether I am teaching as a teacher, a babysitter, or a big sister. Protecting is preventing and that is what I believe.