Christian - Thomasville, North Carolina
Themes: hope

“Float On; This I believe”

For the past few weeks I, like many of you, have been trying to decipher exactly what it is that I belive, that is, what it is that keeps me going through life and not giving up at the first little sign of bad news, and it struck me yesterday that i have been going at all the wrong way, so instead of beating myself upside the head trying to analyze this thing which is completely without name, definition, or even a definate shape, i instead decided to let the idea flow from me, as if i was breathing it, for a few days, take what i had given birth to, and put it into words, and as i was “chilling” in my room today listening to music i heard a song called “Float On” by Modest Mouse,

and a few lines struck me particularily strongly:

“I backed my car into a cop car the other day

Well he just drove off sometimes life’s ok

I ran my mouth off a bit too much

oh what did I say

Well you just laughed it off it was all ok

Well, a fake Jamaican took every last dime with that scam

It was worth it just to learn from sleight-of-hand

Bad news comes don’t you worry even when it lands

Good news will work its way to all them plans

We both got fired on the exactly the same day

Well we’ll float on good news is on the way”

I realized that i belive that no matter what happens the sun will rise again, the world will go on, and everthing will be ok in the end. I realized that no matter how bad it gets, there is always a bright side to life, and no matter what happens tomorow will be a little bit better, and the day after that will be a little better, and the day after that, and the day after that, and the day after that, and eventually i wont even remember what i was upset about and why i should even care.

I realized that life is to short, and too good to complain and to worry and to be depressed or be upset or be angry or be sad, and that since i dont really know whats ganna happen when i die i might as well make the best of what i have now.

I realized how happy it makes me to be able to make people happy, to make people laugh, to help people enjoy life, and to help people see that there is always a tomorow and there will always be yellow sunshine and green grass and blue skies and summer rains and winter snows and song birds and rose petals in the wind, that life is going to be good again and that we just got to have faith.

I now realize that I believe that life is good, and that I am an idealist, and i am an optimist, and that my cup is most definately half full, but it is what makes me me, it is what makes me happy, and it is what keeps me going from day to day, because in the end, no one ever makes a difference living in the past, or even the presant, but that everything worthwhile must be looked for in the future, and that is how I try to live my life, and this I belive.